Home :: What Was Lost :: What was Saved :: Who Saved Them :: Where They Came From :: The Early Months :: Arrival of the Scrolls
Museum Virtual Tour :: The Tora :: About Scribes :: Creating a Scroll :: The Wandering Scribe :: Age of the Scrolls :: About Binders
The Art of the Binder :: The Binder Collection :: The Work Continues :: Where are the Scrolls now? :: Contacts :: The Scrolls World
Photo: Archive of the Jewish Museum in Prague
Picture of scrolls on shelves
Salomon Hugo Lieben
(1881-1942)
Founder of the Jewish Museum in Prague in 1906. He had retired from his post at the Museum to work as Head of the Prague Burial Society, but became involved again when the plan to establish the Central Jewish Museum was being discussed and put into practice.

Dr. S. H. Lieben
Photo: Archive of the Jewish
Museum in Prague
Dr.Tobias Jakobovits
(1887-1944)
The former Librarian of the Prague Jewish Community became the Scientific Head of the Central Jewish Museum in Prague. Together with Lieben he co-curated the wartime exhibition of rare prints and manuscripts.

Dr. Tobias Jakobovits
Photo: Archive of the Jewish Museum in Prague
Dr.Karel Stein (1906-1961)

Chairman of the Department of Provincial Affairs at the Prague Jewish Community and probably the author of the idea of gathering all the objects from Bohemian and Moravian synagogues and saving them in Prague. He was the only community leader to survive the war and became the Head of the Prague Jewish Community after the war. In 1949 he moved to Israel.


Alfred Engel (1881-1944)

Former curator of the Central Jewish Museum for Moravia and Silesia in Mikulov (Nikolsburg), whose contents were moved first in May 1938 to Brno and then in May 1942 to Prague, where they became a major component of the Central Jewish Museum with Engel as one of its curators.